Thursday, June 14, 2012

I feel I'm all over the place here, as I have just commented on the Maths Insider blog about using fingers to count. But I think I needed to comment on this issue. I know that fingers are a great tool to use when you don't know your maths facts. They are always there when you need them and they can be used in groups of ones, fives and tens. When I see some of my students struggling with some simple questions, I suggest they use their fingers and a look of relief comes over their face as they can go to something they know works for them. You can't force kids to learn anything, but if you show them an easier path then they may put in some effort on their own. Finger counting can be that easier path. I've been teaching math for 20+ years and I still use my fingers in some situations. There is nothing wrong with that. Remember the real issues are that the kids need to feel better about themselves and what they do. If parents and teachers come down hard on them for using their fingers then the student will feel that they backward and they will find it hard to move ahead. They will eventually stop using their fingers (most of the time). Remember, we are teaching people, not a subject.

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment